Opportunities Abound for College Students (A-Z Blogging Challenge)



One of the neatest things about being in college is that there are so many interesting opportunities!

At my college there was always something to do, whether it was educational or just fun.

A few of the fun things I remember doing . . .


  • My best friend and I competed in a three-legged race on "skip day."  We did not win.
  • Skip day.  One day each spring, toward the end of the year, the school would plan "skip day."  It was a surprise (though most people know it's coming, even if we don't quite know when) day where all classes were canceled.  Usually activities were planned such as group games and picnics, and we all were able to take a much-needed break.
  • My best friend and I had an epic water balloon/water gun fight with friends on campus.
  • A former student/staff member of the college asked our choir to help sing backup for a song his band was putting on their next album.  Several of us went to a recording studio, and it was awesome.  

Some of the educational things I remember doing . . . 
  • On Martin Luther King, Jr. day a group of us had lunch in one of the cafeteria meeting rooms and watched the whole speech. I wonder how many people have actually heard/watched the whole thing.
  • I met missionaries from around the world.  The first ones that come to mind are Zimbabwe, Laos, Jamaica, and Papua New Guinea.
  • I met students from many countries as well.  Jamaica, Barbados (wink, wink), Thailand, Kenya, Congo, Zimbabwe, Mexico, the Netherlands, Chile, and several other places.  
  • One year, we had a series of chapel services that were designed after various church styles.  We had a liturgical service, a traditional service with hymns, and several others.  Even though we could have achieved this by visiting the different churches, it was a great experience.
  • For my Acts class, we were required to visit the Jewish synagogue in town.  It was a very interesting trip!

It can be easy to get caught up in studies that you forget about the other things college has to offer.  If I had a chance to give advice to someone headed to college, I would suggest they study hard but make sure to look up from the books and take part in the rest of the college experience.

Tell me about the opportunities you had while you were in college!


Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

2 Responses to Opportunities Abound for College Students (A-Z Blogging Challenge)

  1. Great thoughts Kirra! College can be so much more than just book learning. I had the opportunity to be in college with Rich Mullins...we were music majors together and had our ups and downs in music theory, sight seeing and ear training, and a few other courses. At the time, Rich was a great musician with great prospects...I was just a music major. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting! I feel like I went to school with some people who are relatively well-known, like speaking at Ozark's Preaching and Teaching Convention, but nothing like that!

    ReplyDelete

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.